HomeRoyal NavyThe Family ManUseful Links & Contact
"If only I had seen the script"
After the Navy

Dennis Cambell married Dorothy in 1933 and they remained happily in love and the best of companions for the next 67years!

They have two daughters, six grandchildren and, to date, 6 great grandsons: Cal, Finn, Gabe, Alfie, Jonah and Cormac.

His early years

Dennis was born on 13 November 1907 in Southsea the eldest of four children.  His parents, Dr Archibald Cambell (August 1880-December 1934) and Edith Farquharson Roberts (September 1881-November 1969) were married in 1906 and spent all their married life in Spencer Road, Southsea.  Neville Kenneth Cambell was born in April 1911, Katharine in July 1913 and Brian in April 1919.  All three sons joined the Fleet Air Arm, and Kay won a scholarship to read languages at Cambridge.  In DRFC's formative years, his best friend was Alec Cook whose family lived around the corner from Spencer Road. (This friendship is still continued today by DRFC's younger and Alex's youngest daughter who have remained close friends since childhood. Although both women are in their fifties they date their friendship back 85 years!)

DRFC went to Westminster School in 1921 where his form master was the forbidding Ernest Long Fox.At the end of his first term this man wrote on DRFC's report  "the boy seems a perfect fool and incapable of learning anything".  Fox was clearly not as perceptive as he was morose!

Family Memories

Of Neville, Kay says "Neville as a small boy was made a boarder at a nearby prep school because my father got very tired of dragging a reluctant child to school everyday.  Neville was always very supportive and caring  for me . I remember him upturning the large nursery table to make the wings for me to emerge from as though on a stage. His interest in acting remained with him and while a prisoner of war in Germany he put on a number of successful productions, mostly of farces which were popular at the time. He said that as a POW  he was happier in Germany than in Italy, because though it was a stricter regime you knew where you were while in Italy the guards could be very friendly one minute and very unpredictable  the next. On one occasion, he said, when he was playing patience he deliberately didn't put a card where he could see it would go enticing the guard who was watching to play it for him. Here, hold on to my rifle for a moment, said the guard, which Neville was happy to do! He felt this would never have occurred in Germany. I have always felt that it was thanks to him and the nursery acting that I have always been so engrossed in acting throughout my life. Neville's relationship with my father went through some bad patches which he in later life much regretted. As Neville believed in as after-life he felt he would have to answer to my father later for his behaviour."      

Of Brian, Kay says "As Brian was six years younger than me I didn' t have a lot of contact with him. My last memory of him was  when we were living in Clifton Hill, St John's Wood, he came to see us and we went for a walk in  Regents Park. Rob* was two or three at the time and Robert and I believed in under dressing him rather than wrapping him in a lot of clothes, so although it was quite a chilly day  Rob had only a thin shirt on. Brian told Mum afterwards that Rob was being experimented on. It doesn't seem to have harmed him. He's always been very healthy!  I remember clearly Brian's head of thick curly red hair and his freckled face. He was very good-looking. He was the apple of Mum's eye, her favourite offspring, and Neville once said to me that, however awful his death was for Mum, it spared her the time which was imminent of Brian having less time for her and more for his girl friends."      

[Editor's note: Rob is Kay's son, Robert was his father.]

Memories of DRFC

Kay (sister):  He saved up his sub-lieutenant's pay in order to take lessons in flying at the Hamble, at a time when flying in a moth was very unusual.  I've always felt that his going to Westminster rather than Dartmouth is why he was so sophisticated and always socialised so well.   I didn't appreciate his oil paintings but have always admired to the point of envy his great ability to draw. Certain aspects of my Dad's character came out very strongly in him. To my shame I used to boast about him dreadfully at the Portsmouth High School!  He had a very happy late teens and early twenties, I think, (marred only by the loss of a pretty little Cairns whom he got as a puppy but who died of distemper when it was nine months old. It upset him considerably). I always admired Dennis immensely.

Mark (grandson): I used to love staying with Granny and Grandad when I was a kid. Being spoilt rotten and out in the country too, every day seemed like an adventure. One day I asked Grandad something about cars. I was only about 8 and used to love playing with my Matchbox cars on their patterned carpet that I used like a road system. Grandad was brilliant, he spent the whole day carefully explaining every facet of the modern combustion engine to me.  He brought out manuals to help explain and made it so interesting, with his relaxing yet reassuring manner. It made me feel so empowered to have grasped this complicated system that I never forgot it. To this day it has stood me in good stead when talking about the subject, for which I am eternally grateful.

Elinor (granddaughter, Mark's cousin): When I think of Grandad, I see him in the kitchen at the Old School House, early in the morning, pottering around making scrambled eggs for his visiting grandchildren.  He always seemed so happy, I think it was the only time he was allowed to cook!

Lucie, (granddaughter, Elinor's twin): When I think of Grandad, I think of Autumn half term holidays spent walking around Colemore, with grandad walking the special way he did with his walking stick - not that he needed it. He used to light a bonfire for us down the road from the Old School House. We'd play card games and he would show us puzzles while Granny would cook  Olé* , a popular meal with nearly all her grandchildren ("I'm not so sure about me!"). He was always so interested in ideas we had, which made us feel important. Certain smells can bring grandad back to me in a second, fresh cut grass (he was always so proud of the lawn), and the smell of wood in his workshop/garage. He always used to try and take photos of us without us knowing because he thought it made for a better photo, but we would always know.

[*Editor's note: Olé is a mince and pasta dish from Peg Bracken's "I hate to cook book".]

Amy, (youngest granddaughter, sister to the twins and Barnaby): It seems alien to me that the rest of the world remembers Dennis Cambell in terms of his successful career in the Navy or his invention of the angled-deck.  To me, he was just my grandad.  A constant presence in my childhood and, though living quite far away, he and granny were a big part of my world.  

There were always three sorts of occasions when we'd see our grandparents; in the early days, they would  come to visit us in Penarth including a few Christmases but these visits became few and far between as I grew up.  During half-terms  they would have us come to stay in the Old School House in Colemore, which must have been a challenge to entertain four boisterous grandchildren for a week.  Then in later years we would more commonly choose a nice, country pub to meet up with them for lunch mid-way between Hampshire (their home) and South Wales (ours.)  

Though my grandparents were still very active people when I was a child, I never knew a time when Grandad was working.  He was retired for all of my living memory.  So when I remember my grandad I remember a tranquil, content life in their much-loved Old School House, nestled in the heart of English countryside.  

To occupy us on our visits, Granny and Grandad would take us for long walks that always seemed to feature, walking past the donkey and the farm house with the turkeys and the giant rusting buoys that we'd climb upon, with a quick check in on the Colemore church, where my other grandfather had christened me as a baby and where my granny would play the organ from time to time.  We would invariably walk past the house of friends of my grandparents, which we loved more for its swimming pool, than any fond acquaintance we had with its owners. These walks would turn into long rambling adventures round the farmers field where there would be much excitement about the boom of the farmer's bird scarer set on a timer, and each footstep would be littered with “do you remember when...” stories, from the time that Shell Lane, along with the rest of Hampshire got caught in the big snow and my brother dug tunnels into the snow drifts, to the time that my father went hunting for wild garlic in the bluebell woods leaving my brother crying out in fear about the encroaching “wild darlick”.   

It is strange the detail that such childhood memories bring when you scratch at the surface because one's perception is so different before you turn ten.  A lasting feature of those walks for me is how intently I would watch and try to imitate the way my grandad swung his walking stick, with a clever,  little swing of the hand, which gave it added momentum.  It always seemed such a distinguished movement.  And this was my grandad – with so many clever, little quirky ways.  The clever, little quirky ways which carried him along in all our eyes as a man of quiet, self-assurance.  A man of purpose.  A man who was clever in so many ways.  

My grandad's house was always filled with little puzzles to tax every visitor, from his rubix cube, to the mercury in the maze, and from the puzzle with the wooden block on the ring to the gyroscope.  Grandad also had this neat, little, science, puzzle book, which contained all sorts of tricks.  The one that sticks in my memory was how to get an egg into a glass milk bottle.  Grandad would give such gentle encouragement to me as I worked my way through those puzzles, studiously working out the solutions.  It was great to have his seal of approval.  

Grandad loved to be the solver of puzzles.  One famous occasion he'd realised that his petrol was being used up at a rapid rate in his car.  Having spotted this anomaly a couple of times he determined to find out the cause.  He set a fine thread to run from the petrol cap on his car to the upstairs bedroom and then attached a bell* to the thread.  Just as Grandad suspected the bell rang in the early hours of the morning and he caught a local lad red handed siphoning off his petrol.  Grandad was particularly proud of his detective work on that one.


Though Grandad was retired, he was always busy.  He would always have at least one project on the go.  He'd have described himself as 'a bit of an artist', and some of his paintings could be found on the walls of their home.  However, he was also a perfectionist.  (A trait I think I had the misfortune to inherit.)  He had intended to do a portrait of all his grandchildren and my siblings and I looked on jealously at the portrait of my sister, Lucie, which displayed a wispy toddler with such a good likeness to my sister that we envied it greatly, but Grandad could never be satisfied with any attempts he made at doing pictures of the rest of us and we certainly never saw those attempts.

Grandad was also a craftsman.  He made two large pine dining tables for my family, one of which stands proudly in my mother's house and the other in my sister's, under which my granddad's first and third grandchildren have been swinging their feet for 13 and 10 years respectively.  He also made shelves for all three of us girls to display our little collection of ornaments, and my granny still has a master-size, similar set of shelves for her to display the memorabilia that she and Grandad collected from their round-the-world travels.  When my brother was young, Grandad made him a farmyard, a fort and a car park to play with, and we all played with it in turn, along with the wooden house that my mother had played with as a child.  But of course, my most favourite object that he ever made was the little wooden child's desk that he made for me one birthday.  It included a secret little compartment with a clever little lock about which he told me and only me.  I kept that secret for years from my siblings.  Even when he made identical desks for my sisters, he did not give them a secret compartment and I loved how special that made me feel.  

However it was my brother, Barnaby, and my cousin, Marc, who had a special place in Grandad's heart.  He would share a kinship with them that we all stepped back from and observed.  Whether it was through engines or wood work, Grandad would take the time to impart knowledge to the men in the family and it wasn't something that us girls would resent.  We understood.

Were there any signs of the Naval Admiral in the Grandad I knew?  Well, he was not a boastful man and did not spend his time spouting about his achievements.  Though when one of us had the foresight to quiz our grandad about his life in the navy he would take the time to explain.  I certainly treasure the moments I had with my grandad when it was just him and me and he would show me the photos in his room of the boats, or the diagrams and the newspaper articles that he has collected of the invention of the angled deck.  Once, after Lucie had taken the time to ask Grandad about his time in the Navy, he had given her a blue folder that contained photos of ships and articles.  None of us quite knew what to make of it, but we knew she had been favoured to be given such a gift.

There were other signs of the sailor in my grandad.  He was a man of precision.  He always had his own room and that was kept in ship-shape order like the gentlemen's quarters that they were.  He  had a single bed with the foam mattress he had got used to using in the Navy.  I would always fancy that his little back windows in front of his desk  were like those of a captain's cabin, from where he could survey the comings and goings of the bird table and the conservatory that he built.  When my grandparents finally decided to move to a smaller house in the town because they were getting older, my grandad made an exact replica of the new house floor plan to scale, along with to scale models of all their furniture, so that they could plan the layout of their house months in advance of moving in.  

My grandad was also one for his routine.  Lunch and dinner were always served at the same time every day in his house and an hour before both, his little digital watch would go off to notify us all that “the bar” had opened.   During these two hours of the day it was perfectly respectable to quaff a few drinks but after that point the bar was very clearly closed and not to be opened again.  In some respects things had to be just so for Grandad.  He made the sign to hang in the porch way of the old school house, with a no entry symbol around a high heeled shoe, so that he could protect his wooden, parquet floor.  It was a constant source of anxiety for him that some nincompoop would totter her way across that floor in ridiculous heels and unwittingly damage his floor.  

Sometimes Grandad's particular ways would drive us all potty.  He would never believe my sister that she hadn't lost his prized pair of secateurs, and quiz her about the location of the secateurs for years and years.  He would never let me open the window in the back of his car however car sick and pale I became because he didn't like to have a breeze on the back of his neck.  I will always remember my mother's exasperation as she came off the phone the day that we were heading off on holidays because Grandad had phoned her up to say “don't forget the only really important thing you need to remember is PMT – passport, money, tickets”  She was growling with the indignation of being a mother of four and still needing to be told such things.  Yet it is precisely those exasperating things that we miss so dearly now.  Whenever I am packing for abroad his “PMT” comes racing back to me.  

The other evidence of Grandad's role in the navy were the photo albums.  A trip to Granny and Grandad's was not complete without pulling out the photo album.  Before the holiday snaps in Spain, Turkey and France, or mesmerizing pictures of my own mother as a child with her tight curls and self-conscious stance, there were collections of black and white photos of Grandad in uniform, meeting glamorous dressed ladies and posing in groups of faces with names of people I would never know.  And then of course there was the photo of my grandparents wedding with my granny in her long silk gown and my grandad in his uniform walking through the archway of swords held up by his fellow service men.  That photo stood in pride of place on my granny's bureau and still does to this day. 

Granny and Grandad did everything together in the time that I knew them.  I know there must have been long period of time when they were apart when he was in the navy, but they were never apart in my memories of Grandad.  I don't  recall any open displays of affection between the two of them.  They were simply just in cahoots.  They understood each other and agreed with each other in most things.  They knew their roles in everything they did.  Cooking was my granny's department.  Washing up was my grandad's.  Feeding the birds was my granny's role.  Playing ricabee and sevens with us children was granny's department, as was reading stories to us every morning.  Discussing politics with us grandchildren in later years was my grandad's role and granny deferred to him.

When I think about Grandad I realise now that his life almost spanned a whole century.  I remember him pointing out the hole in the wall in our local bank and commenting to me that once upon a time that would have been inconceivable to him when he was young.  But he was not left behind by technology.  He loved to be one foot ahead of the game.  He had the digital watch before everyone else.  He mastered the use of the video, and used it to record his favourite television programme “MASH”.  He understood how cefax worked on the computer and regularly perused its pages when cefax first came out.  Granny left all of that to him and is still under the impression that Grandad is the only one who could master a video control.  

But there must have been elements of our modern lives that he found difficult.  He was quite a traditional man; Went to Westminster school as a boy;  Worked his way through a career in the Navy;  Married;  Two respectable daughters.  Yet neither daughters were so conventional and both of them had their wild side.  I wonder how he really felt about my mother as a teenage mum, or my parents divorce 10 years later.  I'm sure he must have been baffled at mum's first boyfriend after the divorce, a gentle giant with long hair and a laidback outlook on life.  Then his grandchildren grew up and we were even more of a wild bunch of fun loving rebels.   It all must have felt a far cry from the world he knew so well.  Yet I know he and Granny loved us all and we worked hard to protect him from the extreme elements of our rebellion.  It is sad for me now that he never did get to see how we all turned out and where our lives led.  I think he would be much reassured if he could see us all now.  

So Dennis Cambell: who was he to me?  He was a tall, slim man, who was always well turned out with his silk scarf around his neck and his dappled green-yellow jacket.  My sister once compared him to Fred Estair and he certainly had that twinkle about him.  He had the greatest smile and when he smiled his eyes would light up with kindness.  He was a quirky, clever funny man who made me feel loved and yet also he was a man who had more serious things on his mind.  I felt he knew stuff that I didn't know and had common sense in how to get stuff done.  He was just my grandad.  

(Editor's note: In fact it wasn't even a bell, but a corkscrew suspended over a lozenge tin!  When the petrol cap was removed the former fell on the latter making a noise considerably less melodic than a bell!)

DRFC's father was highly respected doctor in Southsea, and his grandfather was a renowned merchant on the Manchester Cotton Exchange, a distinctive figure, with his top hat and goatee beard.

On his mother's side DRFC had a list of his ancestors, tracing back by direct line, (although not primogenitor) through 21 generations to Edward III.

1. Edward III (13 November 1312 – 21 June 1377) was one of the most successful English monarchs of the Middle Ages He remained on the throne for 50 years; no English monarch had reigned for as long since Henry III, and none would again until George III.  His children:
Edward, the Black Prince 15 June 1330 8 June 1376
Isabella 16 June 1332 1379
Joan 1333 2 September 1348
William of Hatfield 16 February 1337 8 July 1337
Lionel of Antwerp, 1st Duke of Clarence 29 November 1338 7 October 1368
John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancaster 24 June 1340 3 February 1399
Edmund of Langley, 1st Duke of York 5 June 1341 1 August 1402
Blanche 1342 1342
Mary 10 October 1344 1362
Margaret July 20, 1346 1361
William of Windsor 24 June 1348 5 September 1348
Thomas of Woodstock, 1st Duke of Gloucester 7 January 1355 8/9 September 1397

2. Edmund of Langley, 1st Duke of York (June 5, 1341 – August 1, 1402) was a younger son of King Edward III of England and Philippa of Hainault, the fourth of the five sons of the Royal couple who lived to adulthood. Like so many medieval princes, Edmund gained his identifying nickname from his birthplace: Kings Langley in Hertfordshire. At the age of twenty-one, he was created Earl of Cambridge. In 1385, Edmund was created Duke of York. He was the founder of the House of York, but it was through the marriage of his younger son, Richard, that the Yorkist faction in the Wars of the Roses made its claim on the throne. They had two sons and a daughter: Edward (killed in action at the Battle of Agincourt)  Richard, Earl of Cambridge (executed for treason by Henry V)  Constance (an ancestor of queen Anne Neville).

3. Richard of Conisburgh,  3rd Earl of Cambridge and Anne de Mortimer. c. 1375 – 5 August 1415) His mother died giving birth to him or soon after. He was a younger brother of Isabel Plantagenet. He was discovered to be one of the fomentors of the Southampton Plot against King Henry V immediately prior to departure on the French campaign. (His elder brother, Edward of Norwich, 2nd Duke of York, would die at the Battle of Agincourt, less than three months later.) He was stripped of all his titles and estates and was executed on 5 August 1415 at Southampton Green, Hampshire, England; before the fleet set sail on 11 August 1415. Their marriage produced a daughter, Isabel Plantagenet, and a son, Richard Plantagenet, 3rd Duke of York. He later laid claim on the throne, beginning the Wars of the Roses.

4. Richard, Duke of York (21 September 1411 – 30 December 1460) was a member of the English royal family, who served in senior positions in France at the end of the Hundred Years' War, and in England during Henry VI's madness. In October 1429 (or earlier) his marriage to Cecily Neville took place. His conflict with Henry VI was a leading factor in the political upheaval of mid-fifteenth-century England, and a major cause of the Wars of the Roses. Although he never became king, he was the father of Edward IV and Richard III.
His children with Cecily Neville include:
1.        Joan of York (1438-1438).
2.        Anne of York (August 10, 1439 – January 14, 1476), consort to Henry Holland, 3rd Duke of Exeter.
3.         Henry of York (b. February 10, 1441, died young).
4.         Edward IV of England (April 28, 1442 – April 9, 1483).
5.         Edmund, Earl of Rutland (May 17, 1443 – December 31, 1460).
6.         Elizabeth of York (April 22, 1444 – after January, 1503), consort to John de la Pole, 2nd Duke of Suffolk.(His first wife was Margaret Beaufort).
7.         Margaret of York (May 3, 1446 – November 23, 1503). Married to Charles the Bold, Duke of Burgundy.
8.         William of York (b. July 7, 1447, died young).
9.         John of York (b. November 7, 1448, died young).
10.       George, Duke of Clarence (October 21, 1449 – February 18, 1478). Married to Isabel Neville. Parents of Margaret Pole whose husband's mother was the half-sister of Margaret Beaufort.
11.       Thomas of York (born c. 1451, died young).
12.       Richard III of England (October 2, 1452 – August 22, 1485). Married to Anne Neville, the sister of Isabel Neville.
13.       Ursula of York (born c. 1454, died young).

5. Anne of York, Duchess of Exeter (August 10, 1439, Fotheringhay – January 14, 1476) was the second child and eldest surviving daughter of Richard Plantagenet, 3rd Duke of York and Cecily Neville.  She was an older sister of Edward IV of England, Edmund, Earl of Rutland, Elizabeth of York, Duchess of Suffolk, Margaret of York, George Plantagenet, 1st Duke of Clarence and Richard III of England.
In 1447, Anne was married to Henry Holland, 3rd Duke of Exeter. They had one daughter: Anne Holland (c. 1455 – 1475), married Thomas Grey, 1st Marquess of Dorset. In the Wars of the Roses, Exeter sided with the House of Lancaster against the House of York despite Anne being a member of the later. He was a commander at the great Lancastrian victories at Wakefield and St Albans. He was also a commander at the Lancastrian defeat at the Battle of Towton. He fled to the Kingdom of Scotland after the battle, and then joined Margaret of Anjou, Queen consort of Henry VI of England in her exile in France.  On March 4, 1461, her younger brother was declared King Edward IV in London. Exeter was attainted but Edward gave his estates to Anne. They were separated in 1464.
Anne married secondly Sir Thomas St. Leger c. 1474. She died giving birth to their only daughter:Anne St. Leger (January 14, 1476 - 21 April 1526). Married George Manners, 12th Baron de Ros.

6. Anne St. Leger (1476-1526). She was a daughter of Sir Thomas St. Leger and Anne of York  she married Sir George Manners, 12th Baron de Ros (died October 27, 1513 at Tourney, France) who was an English nobleman of the reign of King Henry VII of England. George Manners was the son of Eleanor de Ros by her marriage to Sir Robert Manners. He inherited the barony of de Ros from his uncle, Edmund de Ros, 11th Baron de Ros of Hamlake.Her mother was the second child and eldest surviving daughter of Richard Plantagenet, 3rd Duke of York and Cecily Neville. She was an older sister of Edward IV of England, Edmund, Earl of Rutland, Elizabeth of York, Duchess of Suffolk, Margaret of York, George Plantagenet, 1st Duke of Clarence and Richard III of England.
Their son was Thomas Manners, 1st Earl of Rutland, who inherited the barony.  George Manners owned a medieval manuscript copy of a chanson de geste, Les Voeux de paon (The Vows of the Peacock) by Jacques de Longuyon, that is now New York Public Library, Spencer MS 9. He wrote his name on a flyleaf of the manuscript, f. i v, which may be seen online at the Digital Scriptorium, [1].The 12th Baron de Ros was buried at St. George's Chapel, Windsor

7. Thomas Manners, 1st Earl of Rutland and 13th Baron de Ros of Hamlake, Baron Trusbut & Belvoir (c. 1492 – September 20, 1543) was created an earl by King Henry VIII of England in 1525. Thomas was the son of Sir George Manners, 12th Baron de Ros and his wife Anne St. Leger (1476-1526). His maternal grandparents were Sir Thomas St. Leger and Anne of York. His maternal grandmother was the second child and eldest surviving daughter of Richard Plantagenet, 3rd Duke of York and Cecily Neville. She was an older sister of Edward IV of England, Edmund, Earl of Rutland, Elizabeth of York, Duchess of Suffolk, Margaret of York, George Plantagenet, 1st Duke of Clarence and Richard III of England.
His first wife was Elizabeth Lovell, whom he married in 1512. His second wife was Eleanor Paston, daughter of Sir William Paston of Norfolk. His children were:.
1.           Henry Manners, 2nd Earl of Rutland and 14th Baron de Ros 
2.           Roger Manners 
3.           Oliver Manners 
4.           Sir Thomas Manners 
5.           Sir John Manners 
6.           Gertrude Manners 
7.           Frances Anne Manners 
8.           Katherine Manners 
9.           Elizabeth Manners 
10           Isabel Manners

8 Henry Manners, 2nd Earl of Rutland (23 September 1526 - September 17, 1563) was the son of Thomas Manners, 1st Earl of Rutland. He also held the title of 14th Baron de Ros of Hamlake, a title to which he acceded in 1543. The Earl's mother was Eleanor Paston. On July 3, 1536, he married Margaret Neville, daughter of Ralph Neville, 4th Earl of Westmorland, and they had three children: Edward Manners, 3rd Earl of Rutland, John Manners, 4th Earl of Rutland , Elizabeth Manners (c. 1553 – c. 1590) she married Sir William Courtenay of Powderham Castle.

9 John Manners, 4th Earl of Rutland (c. 1559–February 24, 1588) was the son of Henry Manners, 2nd Earl of Rutland and Lady Margaret Neville.
He married Elizabeth Charlton, daughter of Francis Charlton of Apley Castle they had six children:
1.          Bridget Manners (d 10 July 1604) married Robert Tyrwhitt of Kettleby 1594 
2.           Roger Manners, 5th Earl of Rutland (6 October 1576 – 26 June 1612) married Elizabeth Sidney. 
3.           Francis Manners, 6th Earl of Rutland (1578 – 17 December 1632) married twice, first to Frances Knyvett, and secondly to Cecily Tufton. 
4.           George Manners, 7th Earl of Rutland (1580 – 29 March 1641) married Frances Cary. 
5.           Sir Oliver Manners (c. 1582 – 1613) 
6.           Frances Manners (27 October 1588 – 1643) married William Willoughby, 3rd Lord of Parham

10 Frances Manners 1588-1643 married William Willoughby, 3rd Lord of Parham 1585-1615. Issue comprised:  Henry Willoughby, 4th Baron Willoughby of Parham (1603 – 1618) Francis Willoughby, 5th Baron Willoughby of Parham (1605 – 1666) married Elizabeth Cecil in 1629 William Willoughby, 6th Baron Willoughby of Parham (1616 – 1673) married Anne Carey about 1636 Frances Willoughby (Born about 1609 – buried 19 May 1648) married Sir Bulstrode Whitelocke of Chilton

11 Frances Willoughby who became the second wife of Sir Bulstrode Whitelocke (August, 1605 – July 28, 1675), English lawyer and parliamentarian, eldest son of Sir James Whitelocke, was baptized on August 19 1605, and educated briefly at Eton College, then at Merchant Taylors' School and at St John's College, Oxford, where he matriculated on December 8, 1620.

12 Hester  Whitelock 1642-1717 married James Scawen/Seawen

13 Maud Sewen/ Scawen married Edmund Watkinson (in 1698?)

14 Mary Watkinson 1702-? married Samuel Roberts

15 William Roberts 1733-1783? Married Margaret Derrick 1758 He died in a ship wreck

16 John Roberts 1770- 1846 married Mary Clarke 1797

17 John Watkinson Roberts 1800-1874 married Adele Vincent

18 John H Roberts 1824-1901 married Mary Farquharson

19 Arthur Farquharson Roberts 1857-1938 married Emilie Nicholls (maybe born in 1859?)

20 Edith Farquharson Roberts 1884-1969 married Archibald Cambell 1907 whose children were DRFC, Neville, Katherine (Kay) and Brian.

21 DRFC 1907-2000 married DEC in1933